I work at the Faculty of Science, University of Helsinki. My research activities consist of following parallel and often integrating fields of interests. At the moment, I put my effort on them in this order:
(1) Quality improvement and curriculum development of science education by, for example, giving advise and pedagogical studies in higher education.
(2) Theory based practices in pedagogical thinking and acting of teachers in higher education.
(3) Supporting student study skills and coping in their physical, social, cultural and digital learning environments.
I run a small Research & Development Unit for Science Education under the Dean’s Office. Together with my nearest colleagues, Dr Juha Taina and PhLic Nina Aremo, we aim to further and develop teaching, studying and learning by
- collaborating with the academics in development and research on higher education,
- giving courses in university pedagogy for personnel and doctoral students,
- supporting student study skills
- coordinating peer networks of academics in tuition, study guidance and supervising,
- developing quality in science teaching and learning.
Taina Kaivola, PhD in Pedagogy, Adj Professor /Docent
Phone +358-9-191 51138, mobile +358-50-368 3920, email: taina.kaivola(at)helsinki.fi
Nina Aremo, Phil.Lic in Chemistry, Pedagogical Adviser
Phone +358-9-191 51136, mobile +358-50-356 3886, email: nina.aremo(at)helsinki.fi
Juha Taina, PhD in Computer Science, phone +358-9- 191 51140, email: juha.taina(at)helsinki.fi
Exactum Building, 2nd floor, First South-East Wing, rooms A220, 221 and A216. Kumpula Campus, P.O.Box 68, FI-00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
More information about our unit and colleagues is available on the Faculty website and intranet Alma. Mostly in Finnish, I regret!