At the Conferment of Academic Degrees, the Faculty of Social Sciences confers 12 Honorary Doctors, who are distinguished in the field of social sciences or in societal matters, and whose careers reflect the conferment themes of unlimitedness and responsibility.
The theme of the 13th Conferment of Academic Degrees at the Faculty of Social Sciences is Unlimited society – common responsibility. Our society seems to be more unlimited than it ever has been throughout the history of time. This phenomenon can be seen both inside Finland as well as at the borders of our country. However, the limits and borders have disappeared only from the world of the privileged. The Conferment Committee wishes to remind that in a world that is missing clear limits and borders, a common responsibility is needed.
The Honorary Doctors of the 2011 Conferment Ceremony at the Faculty of Social Sciences:
- Director General Heli Jeskanen-Sundström
- Ambassador Antti Karppinen
- M. Soc. Sc. Paavo Lipponen
- Professor Thandika Mkandawire
- Secretary General Hilkka Pietilä
- Professor Shalom Schwartz
- Professor Hans-Werner Sinn
- Director General Vappu Taipale
- Doctor Dora María Téllez
- Professor Göran Therborn
- Professor B. Vivekanandan
- Professor Kari Waerness
See detailed descriptions of the Honorary Doctors.