Students of Aleksanteri Institute are offered eight (8) online courses by the Freie Universität Berlin. The instruction is in English. Due to the heavy workload of the courses (8 ECTS) we are looking for highly motivated students. Thus the selection procedure is conducted via application. Please fill the application from here and attach to it a short (max 200 words) letter of motivation.
NB: You can transfer the credits directly to ExpREES or ECEBB Studies. Ukrainian Studies students, please turn to Director of Educational programs concerning transfer of credits.
Starting on July 25, deadline for applications 27 June
- Lost in Transformation: Comparative Area Studies (IRO), http://www.ir-online.org/modules/Study-Focus-Area-Studies/lost-in-transformation-comparative-area-studies/index.html
- Energy (EES), http://www.ees-online.org/modules/energy/index.html
- Politics (EES), http://www.ees-online.org/modules/politics/index.html
Starting on October 17, deadline for applications 30 September
- Russia: Eternal Enigmas (IRO), http://www.ir-online.org/modules/Study-Focus-Area-Studies/russia-eternal-enigmas/index.html
- Intercultural Communication (EES), http://www.ees-online.org/modules/intercultural-communication/index.html
- Humanities (EES), http://www.ees-online.org/modules/humanities/index.html
Starting on January 9, 2017, deadline for applications 30 September
- Changing Eastern Europe: A Dissolving Concept? (IRO), http://www.ir-online.org/modules/Study-Focus-Area-Studies/eastern-europe-a-dissolving-concept/index.html
- Economics (EES), http://www.ees-online.org/modules/economics/index.html
The course gave in-depth knowledge about the concept of Eastern Europe. During the course multidisciplinary approach was implemented in the search of answers to questions, such as current political and social trends in the region, as well as changes in the region. The course included a lot of independent work, as for the assignments (essays, discussion etc.) one had to study and apply the knowledge of lectures and research articles. The work load was reasonable and depended on the time used for the assignments and essays.
-Participant of the “Eastern Europe: A Dissolving Concept?” module, spring 2015
Malmö University offers interesting online courses on Caucasus. These courses may be included in ExpREES.
“Caucasus Studies includes a range of area courses with a focus on the Caucasus region. All courses are offered exclusively online with instruction in English. There are no mandatory seminars or lectures on campus.”
Caucasus Studies I
Introduction to Caucasus Studies
History of the Caucasus
A language of the Caucasus
Post-Soviet developments in the Caucasus State and nation building in the Caucasus
Caucasus Studies II
State and nation building in the Caucasus
Conflicts and conflict resolution in the Caucasus
Peoples and languages in the Caucasus
The Caucasus region: causes and consequences of migration
Caucasus Field and Case Studies (Spring 2017)
You can find more information here: Caucasus Studies
Application: Deadline for applications for Autumn semester is 15 April and for Spring Semester 15 October, but later applications will also be taken into account if the courses are not full.