The University of Helsinki and Africa Workshop – finding competencies, priorities and synergies
On January 12th 2012, at 12-16
Center campus, Unioninkatu 38, seminar room F 211
UniPID* and HUGS** will be holding a workshop for the Researchers and Staff at the University of Helsinki (UH) to explore the role and the competencies of the University in development cooperation with Africa. This workshop seeks to map the scope and focus of research and collaborative projects with African academics and HEIs, as well as to further consolidate University’s African involvement. Despite differences in area of cooperation or subject of study, there is a multitude of potential synergies, benefits, and possibilities to be derived from the networking of researchers and projects. Furthermore, defining University’s competencies to meaningfully contribute to research on and collaboration with Africa is beneficial for identifying future partners, funding possibilities, and projects.
In particular, the workshop has the following aims:
- Consider the University’s role in human capacity building in African HEIs;
- Discuss strategic research and cooperation priorities, both in terms of topics and modes of collaboration;
- Identify the competencies, strengths, weaknesses, and possible synergies within development research and projects at the University;
- Encourage active interaction between participants, with UniPID, and with other relevant university mechanisms to support development cooperation, research, research funding and student mobility.
- Support given to the work of the Helsinki University Global South-network, to foster the networking and cooperation between Africa researchers and project staff
- An exchange of experiences and the identification of synergies in conducting research and development work in Africa;
- The identification of the University’s competencies and future priorities for the research and capacity building activities with and within Africa.
*The Finnish University Partnership for International Development, www.unipid.fi
** Helsinki University Global South Network
12.00 Introduction of Participants. Chaired by Vice Chair of UniPID Board, Leo
12.10 Opening words by Vice-Rector Kimmo Kontula
12.30 Feedback to Vice-Rector Kontula
12.40 UniPID´s services for university, Senior Advisor Annica Moore, University of Jyväskylä
12.50 Results and future scheme of the Helsinki University Global South Network,
HUGS Coordinator, Nina Himberg
13.00 Outlook for the ICI-HEI and North-South-South programmes, Programme
Manager Kaija Pajala, CIMO
13.15 Student mobility between UH and African partner universities,
Head of International Affairs, Markus Laitinen/Planning Officer Raisa Asikainen, International Exchange Services
13.30 Presentations of lessons learned in projects contributing to HEI development
in Africa (5-10 min each)
14.00 An overview of Aalto University Research and Cooperation with Africa,
Professor Pertti Haaparanta, Chair of the Department of Economics at Aalto
14.10 Coffee break
14.20 Work in small groups – sharing experiences and defining possibilities of cooperation
14.50 Presentation of the results and the conclusions of the working groups
15.30 Discussion – Finding synergies and way forward
16:00 End of Workshop
The language of the workshop will be English. Coffee and refreshments offered.
Please confirm Your attendance by 6th January in: https://elomake.helsinki.fi/lomakkeet/31965/lomake.html
For further details contact HUGS Coordinator Nina Himberg, University of Helsinki, email: email@example.com.