Date(s) - 11/05/2016
14.15 - 16.00
Category(ies) No Categories
The Finnish Center of Chinese Law and Chinese Legal Culture warmly welcomes you to participate in its guest lectures series. The next lecture will be given by Ignazio Castellucci, Professor at the University of Trento.
Wednesday, 11 May 2016, 14:15 – 16:00
Faculty of Law, University of Helsinki
Porthania (Yliopistonkatu 3), 5th floor, room P545
Rule of Law with Chinese Characteristics
Professor Ignazio Castellucci
The presentations will revolve around the Chinese relation with the law as a tool of governance in present-day People’s Republic of China. The current Chinese concept of fă zhì (法治), which could roughly be translated as rule of law or rule by law, is a fluid one indeed, being affected by Chinese elements such as:
- the Chinese legal history and unique cultural characteristics
- and, especially, the seeping presence of the venerable traditions of Confucianism;
- elements of the Chinese-socialist concept of ‘rule of law’’;
- the basic preference accorded to political dealings rather than to legal governance;
- socialist concept and ‘ways’ of legal, institutional, regulatory, contractual governance of the economy;
- the development of a market economy within a Socialist frame;
- the contact with Western (legal) cultures and with global economic forces and associated legal thought.
An analysis will be condicted in relation to the main principles and to the legal technical devices identifiable in the Chinese legal system to maintain the mentioned characteristics.
Ignazio Castellucci is an Invited Professor of Chinese Law in the University of Trento, and of Chinese Law and Chinese Investment in Africa in the University of Cape Town. Holding a Ph.D. obtained in 1999 in the University of Trento, he has taught comparative law subjects and has given lectures and seminars in a number of countries worldwide. His research interests include Chinese law, rule of law issues, sources of law and legal pluralism, micro-jurisdictions, global economic legal issues. He is an Italian Senior Lawyer, admitted before the Supreme Court of Italy.