Docent in Political Studies, part. Cultural Policy research at the University of Jyväskylä: Valtio-opin, erityisesti kulttuuripolitiikan tutkimuksen dosentti, Yhteiskuntatieteellinen tiedekunta Jyväskylän yliopisto. Lyhyt CV suomeksi.
CV: Emilia Palonen 3.1.2019
Education and degrees completed
- PhD in Ideology and Discourse Analysis (politics) 20.1.06University of Essex, UK.
- MA in Ideology and Discourse Analysis (politics) 18.4.02University of Essex, UK.
- BAhons in Contemporary East European Studies 30.6.00 University of London, UCL, SSEES, UK.
- Docent in Political Science, spec. Cultural Policy Research, 19.5.16, University of Jyväskylä.
Current position (incl. secondary occupations)
- 9.15–31.8.20Senior Lecturer in Political Science, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Helsinki.
- 9.20–31.8.21 Senior Researcher in the AF- consortium Mainstreaming Populism in the 21th Century.
- 1.19-31.12.22 PI of Academy of Finland Media and Society programme’s project WhiKnow (see below).
- Chair Finnish Political Science Association (2018-)
- Regular diverse commentary and analysis in the Finnish (part. YLE) and foreign (e.g. ABC, die Zeit) media.
Previous work experience
- 3.14–31.8.15 Researcher at AF project Asymmetries in European Intellectual Space, U. of Helsinki (UH).
- 1–31.10.13 Senior Researcher at AF project Populism as Rhetoric and Movement, U. of Jyväskylä, Centre for the Study of Contemporary Culture.
- 11.2010–27.4.13 Senior Lecturer in Political Science (Public Administration and Organisation Studies), UH
- 1.–31.10.10 Postdoctoral researcher: Emil Aaltonen Foundation and Finnish Cultural Foundation, UH.
- 12.08–31.12.09 Senior Lecturer in Cultural Policy, Dept. of Social Sciences, U. of Jyväskylä.
- 9.-30.11.08. Visiting Scholar, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, Academy of Finland
- 3.–31.12.07, 1.5.–31.8.08 Postdoc researcher, AF project Nations and their Others: Finns and Hungarians since 1900, University of Jyväskylä): incl. Summer 2009 & 1.5.–31.8.08 Visiting Fellow, Collegium Budapest; 2007–08 Visiting Fellow, Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies, UH.
- 5–.30.6.06 DAAD Junior Visiting Scholar, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Germany,Institute for European Ethnology & Department of Urban and Regional Sociology.
- 9.05–30.4.05 Junior Visiting Fellow,Collegium Budapest, Institute for Advance Study, Budapest, Hungary
- 3.–31.8.05 Körber Junior Visiting Fellow ‘History and Memory in Europe’, Institute for Human Sciences – Institute for Advanced Study, IWM, Vienna, Körber Foundation funding.
Key secondary occupations:
- Founding Editor, Politiikasta, FPSA’s prize-winning online op-ed magazine 12-14; ed. board 2014-
- The Editor, Ydinmagazine 1.1.08-31.6.09.
- Bauhaus Kolleg Dessau, Germany: Bauhaus Certificate 2006-07.
Career breaks: Maternity leave: 27.4.13–10.3.14.
Personal research funding and grants
- 2018, Whirl of Knowledge: Cultural Populism in European Polarized Politics and Societies, Academy of Finland, Media and Society Programme Call, 485.600 e.
- 2010, Emil Aaltonen Foundation, research scholarship, 10 months, 18 000 e, unused 9 months transformed into a Project Research Grant October 2011
- 2008, Finnish Cultural Foundation, Research scholarship, 12 months, 18 000 e
- 2008, AF Visiting Scholarship, Northwestern U. (with Ernesto Laclau), Evanston, Il., US, 6500e
- 2006, DAAD Junior Visiting Scholar, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Germany, 2000e
- 2004, Körber Foundation, Hamburg, Germany, research stay at IWM, 8000 e
- 2004, Finnish Cultural Foundation, 2004, Research scholarship, 14 000 e
- 2002, Oskar Öflund’s Foundation, Scholarship for PhD studies, 2000 e
- 1.–3.5.02, Socrates/Erasmus Council, UK, Scholarship, Budapest Corvinus University.
- 10.01–30.9.04, Economic & Social Research Council, ESRC, Research Studentship ‘Fees Only’
Role in the preparation of funding applications for a research: Significant input in project application for Academy of Finland Juha Herkman (cons. 2017-21), Marja Jalava’s (2012–16), Heino Nyyssönen’s (2007–09); Tuomas Martikainen, Turku, AF SRC (2017, unsuccessful but encouraging)
Leadership and supervision experience
Supervisor of post-doctoral researchers: Suvi Kansikas (PhD 2012) & Virpi Salojärvi (PhD 2016) at UH.
Experience as officially appointed supervisor:
- Laura Sibinescu, Democracy After Accession: Deconsolidation And The Eu’s Domestic Impact In Central And Eastern Europe(second supervisor, 1.12.18)
- Rūta Kazlauskaitė-Gürbüz, Towards an Embedded History(first 18.5.2018)
- Kanerva Kuokkanen: Developing Participation through Projects(third 16.4.2016)
- Hanna Laako:Globalization and the Political (second 6.5.2011)
- Kaisa Savolainen: Education as a Means to World Peace(third, 13.11.2010, Jyväskylä)
- 3 PhD students will submit for pre-examination 2018-19 (first)
- 2 PhD students who started in 2017 or 2018 (first/secondary)
- 2012–, 13 Masters students; 38 BA students supervised.
Experience as leader of research work
- PI of Academy of Finland project WhiKnow (2019-22 AF).
- WP leader on populism and democracy (Herkman 2017-21 AF consortium): postdoc mentoring, focus.
- Edited collections and central theorizing AF project in Jyväskylä (Kovala 2012-16)
Experience of organising scientific meetings
- Tampere 1–4.7.2014 Member of local organising committee: 10th Crossroads in Cultural Studies –; 6th International Conference on Cultural Policy Research, Jyväskylä, Finland, 24–27.8.2010, 1000
- Member of organising committee, FPSA Finland 8–10.3.2016; Urban Symbolic Landscapes: Power, Language, Memory, Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies, UH, 4–5.5.2011, 200
- The Conference Organiser, The Construction of ‘Us’ and ‘Them’: Discourses of Populism and Nationalism, an international conference with Ernesto Laclau as the key-note speaker, 7–8 September 2007, UH, 150
Other key scientific or academic merits
- opponent, U. of Lund/Sweden: Liv Sunnercranz, Hegemony and the Intellectual Function: Medialised Public Discourse on Privatisation in Sweden 1988-1993, 19.12.2017
- 2018/Sept. pre-examiner of Tampere: Angel Iglesias Ortiz, Exploring Social Objectivity through Hegemony, Antagonism, and Heterogeneity.
- Pre-examiner, Faculty of Arts, UH, Ave Ungro,Exploring Crónicas through their value positions.
- Pre-examiner, U. of Tampere, Sauli Ruuskanen, ”Kuolema iltapäivällä”(Death in the afternoon), Department of Journalism and Mass Communication.
Evaluation of research applications: ESRC, UK; Finnish and foreign foundations, European Commission potential evaluator 2017- (MSCF, H2020).
Reviewer: AJPR, Constellations, Contemporary Political Theory, EJPR, Ephemera, J. of Organizational Change Management, Nordisk Kulturpolitisk Tidskrift, Journal of Historical Geography, Political Geography, Redescriptions, Kulturella Perspektiv, European Journal of Cultural Studies, Sociological Review, Journalism, etc.
Administrative responsibilities at higher education institutions:
- 2018– Faculty of Social Sciences, UH, Committee on Science Society Interaction
- 2016– Board member: Masters programmes: European and Nordic Studies, Global Communication and Politics; Dept. for Political and Economic Studies 2016–2017.
- 2011/12-13: Teaching Quality Committee; Student Choice Committee; Coordinator of Leadership Studies
Invited keynote lectures abroad:
- 9.18 Istanbul, Turkey: 2. keynote in Provinzialising Populism conference, Bilgi University.
- 7.18. Melbourne, Australia: Thesis Eleven Annual Lecture, La Trobe University
- 10–11.5.18 Moscow, Russia: Keynote lecture in The Aesthetics of Social Equality: Avant-Garde, Populisms and the People, Higher School of Economics, HSE.
- 11.17 The City Talks– UVic’s Distinguished Downtown Lecture Series, U. of Victoria, BC, Canada.
- 8.17. London, UK: Keynote in Int. Conference on populism, extremism, and nationalism at the Royal Society in London, by Int. Humanist and Ethical Union and British Humanist Association.
- 6.16. Vienna, Austria: Conflicting Populisms, University of Vienna and Kreisky Forum.
Key artistic merits:2010.A new symbol for Europe Outdoor exhibition, Hofvijver,Hague The EU flag memorialgot selected out of 1400 entries as one of 12 designs for a new symbol for Europe and hung in the Hofvijver.
Open science:2011– Gold and Platinum OA publications, journal articles and books; 2014– Lectures on open science, OA publishing; 2016–18 Board Member (Chair in 2018) of Kotilava: Finnish Journals for Immediate Open Access.
Memberships and positions of trust in scientific societies
- 2015–17; 2017-19 Deputy board member of Finnish Federation of Learned Societies (TSV)
- 2012-15 Society for Cultural Policy Research in Finland (Founding Chair 2012, ‘15, vice-chair 13-14)
- 2009– Board Member (Chair in 2018) of the Finnish Political Science Association, FPSA.
Positions as member or editor on editorial boards of scientific and scholarly journals and publication series
- The Editor of the FPSA’s Books from Finnish PSA 2014–17.
- The founding Editor of politiikasta.fi online magazine of the Finnish PSA, 2012–2014.
Finnish, English, Hungarian, French, German, Swedish, and Spanish, some Italian.