‘Law and Globalisation – Advanced Introduction’ by Professor Jaakko Husa, 19 Nov. 2018
Professor Jaakko Husa, University of Helsinki, will give a talk on ‘Law and Globalisation – Advanced Introduction’ on Monday 19 November 2018 at 4–6 pm. The event will take place in Porthania Building at the University of Helsinki, Lecture Hall P 518, Yliopistonkatu 3, Helsinki. LLM Antti Salonen will act as a commentator.
The event is organised in cooperation with GENIAL, the Research Seminar in Global, European, and Private International Law at the University of Helsinki.
IACL General Congress
The 20th General Congress of the International Academy of Comparative Law (IACL) was held in Fukuoka, Japan, in 22–28 July 2018.
The General Congress arranged every fourth year is the premiere gathering for scholars of comparative law. It is a “general” Congress because scholars of all fields of law attend and participate in the workshops on the specific subjects spanning the wide range of private and public law.
KVOTY (the Finnish Committee for Comparative Law) as the IACL’s National Committee has assisted in selecting national rapporteurs for the Congress. National reports prepared by the national rapporteurs formed together with the general reports prepared by the general rapporteurs the subjects of discussions in Fukuoka. These reports will ultimately result in books on several different topics published in the Ius Comparatum series of the IACL by Springer.
Here you find the list of Finnish National Rapporteurs and their topics:
- Bilingual legal education: The need and the challenges by Marcus Norrgård
- Multicultural challenges in Family Law by Sanna Mustasaari
- Information obligations and disinformation of consumers by Salla Hyvönen
- The anti-suit injunction in arbitral and judicial procedures by Iina Tornberg
- Groups of companies by Ville Pönkä
- Legal regulation of crowdfunding by Ilkka Harju and Aki Kallio
- Security rights on Intellectual Property by Teemu Juutilainen
- Formal and informal constitutional amendment by Juha Lavapuro
- The right to be forgotten by Anette Alén-Savikko
- Deference to the Administration in judicial review by Olli Mäenpää
- Confidentiality of correspondence with counsel as necessary requirement of the right to a fair trial by Hannu Kiuru
- Data protection in the internet by Olli Pitkänen
- Climate change and the liability of individuals by Erkki Hollo
- Solidarity across generations by Katja Karjalainen
In addition, Ulla Liukkunen acted as the General Rapporteur on the topic The role of collective bargaining in labour law regimes.
This year the IACL hosted a program for younger scholars as part of the General Congress (see below).
For more information about the General Congress, please visit http://gc.iuscomparatum.info/gc/.
Younger Scholars Forum in Comparative Law on July 25, 2018
The first-ever Younger Scholars Forum in Comparative Law was held in Fukuoka, Japan on July 25, 2018 as part of the IACL’s General Congress.
Abstracts were invited for eight (8) Workshops and one (1) TED-style Speakers’ Corner.
- The Separation of Powers and its Challenges in Comparative Perspectives
- Populism and Comparative Approaches to Democratic Theory
- Comparative Public and Private Law Responses to Religious Diversity
- Defences to Liability: Philosophy and Doctrine
- Technology and Innovation: Challenges for Traditional Legal Boundaries
- Migration and Asylum: Comparative Approaches and the Need for Harmonizing Regimes
- Misuses of Power in Both Private and Public Law: Dual Perspectives on Corruption
- Methodological Approaches to Comparative Constitutional Law: Evolutions and Revolutions
Annual Meeting in March 2018
The Annual Meeting of the Finnish Committee for Comparative Law (KVOTY) took place in March 2018.
6 February 2018
Presentation by Professor Jaakko Husa
Professor Jaakko Husa, University of Lapland (from 1 April 2018, Professor of law and globalization at the University of Helsinki) gave a speech based on his current research titled ‘Law and Globalization. Challenges for teaching and research’ in a KVOTY’s meeting.
27-28 September 2017: Regional Congress of Comparative Law in Singapore (not directly organized by the Academy)
12-13 October 2017, Strasbourg: Symposium on the protection of human rights at the European Court of Human Rights (co-organized by the Academy)
15 May 2017, Paris: Ceremony to celebrate comparatists Mrs. Mary Ann Glendon, Mr. Hein Kötz, Mr. Xavier Blanc-Jouvan, Mr. Jean-Louis Baudoin and Mr. Rodolfo Sacco will be held in Paris.
27 March 2017
Annual Meeting and presentation by LLD. Toni Malminen
The Annual Meeting of the Finnish Committee for Comparative Law was held on Monday, March 27, 2017 at 4.15 pm, in Porthania room P 545, 5th floor (address Yliopistokatu 3, Helsinki).
Before the regular annual meeting matters were discussed, LL.D. Toni Malminen, Senior Associate at Hannes Snellman Attorneys gave a speech based on his PhD research
“Studied side-by-side, one…sees that these two ‘realist’ legal philosophies are rather like chalk and cheese:” American and Scandinavian Legal Realism Compared.
60th Anniversary Celebrations…
The Finnish Committee for Comparative Law (KVOTY) celebrated its 60th anniversary on Monday 12 December 2016 in Porthania (P 674, Yliopistonkatu 3, Helsinki) with a seminar
Comparative Law Today
Program was the following:
12.15 Keynote speech: ‘Comparative Law Today’, professor Jaakko Husa, University of Lapland, (speech available through this link: comparative-law-today-speech-given-by-prof-jaakko-husa-12-12-2016)
Panel discussion: ’Do we need comparative law?’, professor Ulla Liukkunen, professor Jukka Mähönen, professor Heikki Pihlajamäki, LL.D Dan Helenius and LL.D (in spe) Katja Karjalainen.
14.00 Coffee break
14.30-18 Workshop on comparative law / comparative method
16-18 November 2016: Montevideo Thematic Congress on the Enforcement and Effectiveness of the Law, in Uruguay.
Montevideo Thematic Congress on the enforcement and effectiveness of the law was organized by the International Academy of Comparative Law together with the University of Montevideo.
The following books will be published in the iuscomparatum collection with Springer following the congress:
- the General Report by Geneviève Saumier and Hans-Wolfgang Micklitz on the implementation and effectiveness of consumer law including several National Reports for the preparation of the General Report
- the General Report by Marie Mercat Bruns and David Oppenheimer on the implementation and effectiveness of the law of non-discrimination (the National Reports included)
- a collection of selected conference papers from the participants
Check the following links to know more of the event: http://iuscomparatum.info/thematic-congresses/last-thematic-congress/ and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SZGsd5SoGA&feature=youtu.be.
Presentation by Justice Niilo Jääskinen, 14 March 2016
Justice of the Supreme Administrative Court, former Advocate General at the European Court of Justice Niilo Jääskinen spoke on “Comparative Law and the EU Law”.
This was the Annual Meeting of the Committee. After the speech and discussions, regular matters were discussed.
Presentation by Prof. Teemu Ruskola, 11 November 2015
2015: Professor Teemu Ruskola from Emory Law School spoke 11.11.2015 on the fundamentals of legal comparisons with the title “Where Is Asia? When Is Asia?” – For further information, see Ruskola’s book “Legal Orientalism – China, the United States, and Modern Law”.