Spring Phenology Monitoring
Each year since 2012 we have made punctual measurements of the solar irradiance in various semi-natural forests and plant provenance trials along a European latitudinal gradient. We aim to better understand how the spectral conditions under forest canopies change concomitantly with the developmental advance of the understorey plant community during spring bud burst and through the growing season.
With the help of our collaborators we have monitored the conditions in:
- Viikki Arboretum, Helsinki, Finland; with permission from the Greenhouse and Field Trials of the University of Helsinki.
- Helsinki-Vantaa Forest Sites, Finland, in collaboration with Anneli Vihera-Aarnio (METLA).
- Lammi Biological Station Forest, with permission from John Loehr of the University of Helsinki.
- Lapland Forest Sites, Finland, in collaboration with Anneli Vihera-Aarnio (METLA), and with field assistants Tiina Sokuri and Anna Jaros (Lapin ilmatieteellinen tutkimuskeskus).
- Chilterns Provenance Trials, UK, in collaboration with Jo Clark (Earth Trust).
- Wytham Woods, University of Oxford; with permission from Yadvinder Malhi, Terhi Riutti, and Nigel Fisher & collaboration with Alan Jones.
- Rouen Provenance Trials and Foret d’Eawy, France, in collaboration with Estelle Forey-Leyssenne (Universite de Rouen)
- Madrid Forest Sites, Spain, in collaboration with Ismael Aranda (INIA)