We enjoy doing research, we are willing to explore new ideas, and we are open-minded. If you joing our group we will support you, and your work. We especially welcome students who are eager to discover and learn new things. Do not be shy, if you have some ideas of what subject you would like for your research or literature review just come to talk with us about your thesis (BSc, MSc, PhD) plans. We are willing to receive students for “placements” and practices in our group.
Joining the group
If you are a student looking for a M.Sc. thesis project, or you want to start your doctoral studies in a subject fitting with our group’s broad area of interest you are very welcome to come to discuss the possibilities. BSc students are also welcome to discuss as it is good to start early looking at the literature and getting familiar with the possible subjects for a M.Sc. thesis. This can be done as the BSc “thesis” or as seminar assignment. It is also possible to do a small research project for the BSc thesis.
We do not have funding for new doctoral student’s salaries at the moment, but there are possibilities for applying for money from various foundations. Contact us in good time because getting money usually takes time.
Subjects for M.Sc. theses
MSc thesis projects available
Many different MSc projects would fit well within SenPEP’s current research program. Of course, the details will depend on the students’ interests and ideas. In addition other subjects are possible (see below).
Subjects for which we are seeking interested students
[Remote] can be started straight away, even during corona virus shut-down. [Growth chambers] experiments will be possible soon after work in Biocenter 1 is allowed, and can be done year-round. [Outdoors] Restrictions related to the epidemics still apply at least for tasks indoors. Experiments can be done only during the growing season.
- [Remote] Analysis of climatological time series data, to assess whether ultraviolet-B irradiance could provide plants with a “warning” of impending drought events. The background for this study is that in several earlier studies it has been observed that exposure of plants to UV-B radiation can enhance tolerance to drought events. Command of statistics’ principles and concepts is required. R will be used but previous eperience with R is not a requirement. Time of the year and daily working hours are flexible, even remote work is possible.
- [Remote] Meta-analysis and or reanalysis of original data from recent experiments in our research group and from public repositories with the aim of clarifying signalling interactions downstream of known photoreceptors.
- [Growth chambers] Acclimation of plants to pulsed light: the role of frequency and duty cycle on stomatal conductance and photosynthesis of leaves and water-use efficiency, growth and morphology of whole plants.
- [Outdoors] Comparison of faba bean accessions from localities with very different exposure to solar UV-B radiation. Eco-physiological and micrometeorological measurements.
- [Growth chambers] Comparison of Medicago truncatula accessions from localities with very different exposure to solar UV-B radiation (low latitude, high elevation vs. high latitude, low elevation). Eco-physiological and micro-meteorological measurements.
- [Growth chambers] Is chryptochrome 3 (CRY-DASH) a photoreceptor in plants?
- [Growth chambers] Is there a role for ultraviolet-induced visible fluorescence in the plant responses observed in response to ultraviolet radiation applied in the absence or under very weak visible light conditions?
Or propose your own subject
If you have your own interests, please contact us anyway, as it is always possible to apply for money or design experiments that do not require expensive consumables. Take into account that it is possible to find subjects for thesis research that are very interesting even though they are cheap to do, as the expensive equipment is already available.