A brief overview of the articles published in University of Helsinki’s Think Open blog in February. Themes vary from research data and sensitive data to open education and article processing charges (APCs).
(Tämä artikkeli on saatavilla myös suomeksi.)
Humanist in the world of data
- In February, a new series, Humanist in the world of data, began in the blog. In this series, historian and information specialist at the Helsinki University Library’s data team, Aleksi Peura, discusses research data ”from his own, twisted humanist perspective”. In the opening post (in Finnish), Peura considers data-related issues for himself and more generally.
Research tools and sensitive data
- What is REDCap and why could it be suitable for collecting your research data? The REDCap software, which has been in use at the University of Helsinki for a year, is a versatile tool, and the blog article (in Finnish) provides an overview of the REDCap’s various features and use in research.
- Another REDCap article (in Finnish) introduces the use of the program in real-life research case. In her research, doctoral researcher Niina Putkonen uses a multilingual survey, and the data collected contains sensitive data.
Researchers at academic institutes
- Researchers at Finnish academic institutes have often inadequate opportunities to fulfil requirements of open science. In this blog article (in Finnish), researchers Manna Satama and Laura Nissin review the position of researchers at academic institutes from different perspectives, and they also present solutions to improve the current situation.
- In geography and geoinformatics, open educational resources (OER) are commonplace. In her blog article (in Finnish), University of Helsinki student Kia Kautonen describes how the students participated in the use and development of open educational materials in the geoinformatics project course.
Article processing charges (APC)
- Open access fees or article processing charges (APC) are part of a diverse set of options in open access publishing. In the special issue of Think Open Digest, Article processing charges (APC), authors approach open access fees from different perspectives, and themes vary from the definition of the terms to the presentation of the APC services and different ways to foster openness of science.
On what topics you would like to read on the Think Open blog? Or do you have a topic you would like to write about? Please contact us by writing in the comment field below or by email: email@example.com.