Researcher in charge: Dr. Jörn Laxen
Funding period: 2002 – 2004
University of Helsinki, Department of Forest Ecology / VITRI
European Tropical Forest Research Network (ETFRN)
International Union of Forest Research Organisations, Special Programme for Developing Countries (IUFRO-SPDC)
European Commission under the INCO DEV Programme (single-partner accountable measures project)
The aim was to assist African countries to develop and agree on clear national policies and strategies for addressing the ecological degradation of lands in the savanna and dryland forest zones taking into account the management options and climate change. An internet discussion and a final TACCDA workshop provided a forum for discussions between different actors particularly In Africa and the EU countries. A five-year EU research synthesis based on the workshop’s group work results was delivered to the EC INCO-DEV to support Its participation in annual meetings of UNCCD, UNCBD and UNCCC In late 2003.
- TACCDA E-discussion with 11 short introduction papers to each theme and weekly summaries for each of these themes, 17 March – 25 April 2003
ETFRN website of the E-discussion
- A joint TACCDA/GFIS Africa workshop “Trees, Agroforestry and Climate Change in Dryland Africa” with 17 keynote presentations in Hyytiälä, Finland, 30 June – 4 July 2003
Articles, presentations and synthesis of workshop recommendations can be downloaded from ETFRN website
- A five-year EU research synthesis based on the workshop’s group work results was delivered to European Comission to support its participation in annual meetings of UNCCD, UNCBD and UNCCC in late 2003
Some important intangible outcomes
- Real effort to bring the African dryland natural resource research some steps forward was aimed at and structures and strategies for this was concretely laid out with chance to be achieved;
- The E-discussion and the TACCDA workshop provided a forum for discussions between different actors particularly in Africa and the EU countries; and
- The TACCDA workshop provided a platform for the meeting among various distinguished forestry and other sector professionals from Africa, African representatives of several UN research bodies and the INCO DEV of the European Commission.