The 2018 report from the World Economic Forum Global Risks highlights that the continued deterioration of the global environment is increasingly dominant to be one of the biggest threats to humanity. Environment monitoring is one of the key solutions to characterize and monitor the quality of the environment. Therefore, it is feasible to prepare environmental impact assessments and investigate the impact of human activities which may carry a risk of harmful effects on the natural environment.
The Internet of Things (IoT) is an emerging technology that extends the boundaries of the Internet to include a wide variety of devices. The applications of IoT in environmental monitoring are broad, including air quality monitoring, extreme weather monitoring, water safety, environmental protection, endangered species protection, commercial farming, and more. In these applications, sensors detect and measure different types of environmental changes. This workshop aims to publish new research and reviews in the use of IoT technology for environmental monitoring for smart cities. The scope of the workshop also includes emerging communication technologies such as 5G/6G data communication, fog/edge/cloud computing, data fusion, big data analytics, and data science methods such as data mining and machine learning for processing and analyzing environmental data. Any innovative and novel ideas related to environmental monitoring are also highly appreciated and to be considered in this workshop call.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Distributed wireless computation for environmental monitoring systems
- Wireless sensor networks for environment sensing
- Edge/Fog/Cloud computing for environmental monitoring applications
- Artificial intelligence for optimizing environment sensing systems
- Data sciences and data mining for environmental data analytics
- Air, water, and soil pollution sensing systems
- Extreme weather monitoring and disaster management sensing systems
- Unmanned aerial and underwater vehicles for environmental sensing scenarios
- IoT for smart buildings and green environments
- IoT solutions and sensing systems for waste management
- Big data analytics for environmental monitoring and protection
- Environmental monitoring applications and use cases