From Challenge to Implementation
The Generation Green project was initially set up for Helsinki Challenge science competition and idea accelerator program at the end of 2014. The original idea of the team was to reform the pharmacy curricula to comprehensively implement green pharmacy practice to higher education in pharmacy. During the idea accelerator program the team had a chance to cultivate the implementation plan together with a number of national and international experts from the pharmaceutical and environmental sectors.
The founding members (from left to right) and mentors:
- Prof. Jouni Hirvonen, Dean, Faculty of Pharmacy, UH
- Prof. Jari Yli-Kauhaluoma, medicinal chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, UH
- Eeva Teräsalmi, MSc (Pharm.), EMBA, Pharmacy owner (Seitsemän veljeksen apteekki), FIP vicepresident
- Jaakko Teppo, MSc (Pharm), PhD student (analytical chemistry), Faculty of Pharmacy, UH
- Tiina Sikanen, Docent (pharmaceutical chemistry), Faculty of Pharmacy, UH.
- Suvi Sivula, MSc (Pharm) student, Faculty of Pharmacy, UH
- Prof. Pia Vuorela (in memoriam)
- Absent: Reijo Kärkkäinen, LL.M, university instructor, Faculty of Pharmacy, UH.
During the idea accelerator program, the team also enjoyed multidisciplinary sparring by five inspiring mentors:
- Prof. Emeritus Pauli Juuti, Expert on leadership and change management
- Dr Nani Pajunen, Leading specialist (circular economy), The Finnish Innovation Fund Sitra
- Dr Janna Pietikäinen, University lecturer (multidisciplinary environmental studies), The Helsinki University Centre for Environment (HENVI), University of Helsinki
- Dr Niina Vieno, Envieno Ky: National expert of international water legislation
- Prof. Marko Virta, Department of Food and Environmental Sciences, University of Helsinki