- Meter and Language in the Lives of Oral Poetry 12.12.2014, Helsinki, Finland
an international multidisciplinary seminar
- Panel of two sessions: Mythology as Cultural Knowing: Between Historical Experience and Imaginal Realities 5.−9.11.2014, Santa Fe, New Mexico, U.S.A.
at the 126th annual meeting of the American Folklore Society: “Folklore at the Crossroads”
- The 5th International Conference on Samoyedology 21–23.10.2014, Helsinki, Finland
An international conference organized in cooperation with the Department of Finno-Ugrian Languages (University of Helsinki) and Finno-Ugrian Society.
- Itkuvirsiseminaari 1.10.2014, Helsinki, Finland
Seminar on laments organized in cooperation with SKS and Äänellä itkijät ry. Programm in Finnish is available here.
- Parallelism in Verbal Art and Performance 26.–27.5.2014, Helsinki, Finland
An international conference organized in cooperation with Academy of Finland project of SKS (Finnish Literature Society).
- Panel of three sessions: Oral history along the Arctic shores: memories, representations, disruptions 22.–26.5.2014, University of Northern British Columbia, Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
at the VIII International Congress of Arctic Social Sciences: “Northern Sustainabilities” , organized in cooperation with Finnish Academy project “Oral History of Empires by Elders in the Arctic – ORHELIA”, Arctic Centre, Rovaniemi.
- Panel of two sessions: Discourses of Belief and Genre I–II (I: Negotiating Thresholds of Culture; II: Constructing Images and Imagining Culture) 15.–19.10.2013, Providence, Rhode Island, U.S.A.
at the 125th annual meeting of the American Folklore Society: “Cultural Sustainability” , organized in cooperation with the University of Tartu.
- Song and Emergent Poetics: Oral Traditions in Performance 21.–24.11.2013, Kuhmo Finland
An international conference on the theme of cultural meanings and oral poetics. Our conference was organized in collaboration with the Academy of Finland project Song and Singing as Cultural Communication of the University of Tampere. The event was held in English, Finnish and Russian (with simultaneous translation into the other languages).
- Panel Sessions: Homo narrans, Mythic Knowledge, and Vernacular Imagination 25.–30. June 2013, Vilnius, Lithuania at the 16th ISFNR “Folk Narrative in the Modern World: Unity and Diversity”
Within the ISFNR subtopic Homo narrans: Remembering, Telling, Forgetting, the project is organizing a panel “Homo narrans, Mythic Knowledge, and Vernacular Imagination”. This panel seeks to reconceptualise the relation between mythic knowledge and vernacular imagination in the human need to construct narrative worlds, addressing questions of how poetic registers associated with myth, ritual, and belief function as sites of imagination and memory in the internalization, application and transmission of culturally central ideas and values. We invite researchers on oral poetry and narrative to share their ideas on the miraculous species homo narrans and the relationship of narrative worlds to the emergence and use of imaginative and knowledge-based ideas and imageries.
- Register II: Emergence, Change and Obsolescence 22.–24.5.2013, Helsinki, Finland
An international multidisciplinary colloquium organized in cooperation with Academy of Finland project of SKS (Finnish Literature Society). Published abstracts of Register II are here. Published abstracts of Register I (May 2012) are available here.