Call for Papers!
TINT – Centre for Philosophy of Social Science, in collaboration with the IRN project (“Justice and Interest”) and the ESSK project (“Economics as Serviceable Social Knowledge”), is pleased to invite researchers to submit proposals for a workshop on Responsible Economics and Policymaking. The workshop will be held on-site at the University of Helsinki on 26-27 October 2023.
Economic models, evidence and expertise are used extensively in policy making, but the value and limits of economic knowledge in shaping worldviews and public policies need more critical scrutiny given the grand challenges currently facing the world, including climate change, biodiversity loss, pandemics, and growing inequalities, as well as the significant threats confronting democracies worldwide. This workshop will explore the philosophical questions concerning the serviceability of economics to society as a policy science. It will focus on institutional and ethical dimensions of economics, paying special attention to questions concerning interest, justice, and responsibility.
We welcome submissions on the following themes, broadly understood:
- Economics in society: its impact and its responsibility
- Role of responsibility in guiding economic behaviour and policy
- Role of ideas, interests, and values in shaping economic models and policy.
- Relation of economics to other sciences in policy making and policy advice
- Economic expertise: its roles and its limits
- Economics: issues in science communication and science advice
- Responsible economic modelling and policy-making practices
- The ethics of economic decision making in policy contexts
- The economics of harm and the harm of economics
- Epistemic (in)justice in economics and economic policy
- Fairness in economics and economic policy
- Institutional epistemology of economics
Submit your abstract!
Abstracts should be a maximum of 500 words and clearly state the research question together with a brief outline of the argument. You are invited to submit an abstract by the submission deadline of 29.05.2023. by filling in the following form: https://forms.office.com/r/1QJ6FDYgA0
- Submission Deadline: 29.05.2023
- Notification of Acceptance: 12.06.2023
- Workshop Dates: 26-27.10.2023
We look forward to receiving your submissions and hope to see you at the workshop.
|If you have questions concerning the workshop, please contact Jessica A North (email@example.com)|
 TINT – Centre for Philosophy of Social Science at the University of Helsinki is one of the leading centres for philosophy of social sciences. https://tint.helsinki.fi/
 The IRN (International Research Network) partnership « Justice and interest » is a program of the Institute for Humanities and Social Sciences (InSHS) of the French National Center for Scientific Research (CNRS). IRN connects CPNSS (Center for the Philosophy of Natural and Social Sciences, LSE), the CORE Center (Louvain-la-Neuve), the Centre Walras-Pareto (Lausanne), Erasmus Institute for Philosophy and Economics (EIPE), TINT – Centre for Philosophy of Social Science (Helsinki), IHPST (Paris), PHARE (Paris) and AMSE (Aix-Marseilles School of Economics). The PI is Gilles Campagnolo.
 “Economics as Serviceable Social Knowledge (ESSK)” is an Academy of Finland research project (2021-2025) based at TINT. The project leader is Uskali Mäki. https://blogs.helsinki.fi/essk-project/