Arriving in Helsinki
TRAIN: There is a train connection between Helsinki Airport and Helsinki city centre. The entrance to the airport’s train station is in the corridor between terminals 1 and 2. Both train lines P and I go to Helsinki Central Railway Station. Travel time is approximately 30 minutes.
- A regional ticket is required for journeys from Helsinki to the airport and vice versa. Tickets can be purchased from HSL’s blue ticket machines.
BUS: You can also travel by bus using regional bus line 615 or Finnair City Bus. Of these two options the Finnair City Bus is both faster and less crowded.
- The Finnair City Bus operates between the airport and city centre every 20 minutes and takes around 30 minutes. Tickets can be purchased online in advance or from the driver.
- Bus 615 (Lentoasema-Rautatientori) is operated by Helsinki Region Transport (HSL). A regional ticket can be purchased from HSL ticket machines or from the driver with cash.
Public transport in Helsinki
With a single ticket you can use trams, buses, the metro and even the ferry to Suomenlinna. Single tickets can be purchased from the driver, from ticket machines or by sending an SMS text message by mobile phone (requires a Finnish service provider). The ticket machines operate on cash or credit card.
Day tickets are available for unlimited use on public transportation for 1-7 days. They can be purchased from ticket machines, from the Tourist Information or from the Helsinki City Transport service point in the Central Railway Station. One day ticket is also sold by the drivers.
The conference venue
The NWB’2017 venue is located at:
The House of Science and Letters (in Finnish: Tieteiden talo)
Kirkkokatu 6 / Kyrkogatan 6
The House of Science and Letters is situated in Kruununhaka near landmarks such as the Senate Square and the House of the Estates. It is within walking distance (1.5 km) from the Central Railway Station.
Tram lines 5 and 7 from in front of the Railway station (tram stop Rautatientori/Järnvägstationen) will take you close to the venue. Alternatively, you can take tram line 4 from Mannerheimintie (tram stop Lasipalatsi/Glaspalatset)
- Tram line 4, 5: get off at Ritarihuone/Riddarhuset
- Tram line 7: get off at Hallituskatu/Regeringsgatan
Arriving by car is not recommended since finding parking space in Kruununhaka can be difficult.