Call for students for the Group mentoring programme 2023–2024
The application period for the group mentoring programme’s season 2023–2024 is now closed. All applicants will receive an email from the Careers Services between 23 and 27 October 2023 with further information on the group allocation. Thank you to all who applied for the programme!
The 13th season of the programme, starting in November, will feature 46 amazing alumni mentors. 30 of them will mentor their groups in Finnish and 16 in English. The mentoring groups are interdisciplinary, so you can apply for any mentoring group, regardless of your field of study. Each group can accommodate up to four students (actors).
You can apply for the programme if you are:
- University of Helsinki Bachelor’s student, Master’s student, Doctoral researcher or recent graduate (within 12 months of graduation)
- willing to reflect with the group on topics such as your future plans and expertise
- willing to participate in mentoring meetings in November-May, approximately once a month.
During the season 2023–2024, the programme will include the following events, in which all those accepted to the programme are expected to participate. The language of the joint events is English.
- Kick-off event 21th November, 5 pm – 7 pm on the Viikki Campus (live, remote groups can join online)
- Group meetings (approximately once a month is recommended)
- Closing event on 6th May either on the City Centre or the Viikki Campus (live, remote groups can join online).Want to know more? Read the programme overview and learn about participants’ experiences from previous seasons.
HOW TO APPLY: Choose three mentors and submit the preliminary assignment
On the application form, we ask you to choose the three mentors you are most interested in: option 1, option 2 and option 3. In other words, choose the names of three different mentors and prioritise them. On the application form, we ask you to explain your choice of all three mentors.
Some groups meet only remotely, and you can find this information in the mentoring introductions. If the group you have chosen is not marked as a remote group, please prepare to meet your group on-site in Helsinki. The language of the mentor’s introduction indicates the language in which the group will operate (in Finnish or English).
Please note! Some of the mentoring groups may get fully booked already during the application period. Please check the status of your preferred groups on the mentors’ profile page before filling in the application and only apply for groups that are not full. During the application period, we will update the status of the groups on the mentors’ introduction page 1–2 times a day.
We use the following criteria to form the groups:
- preferred mentor
- order of registration
You will also find e.g. these questions in the application form:
- What do you expect or wish to gain through the group mentoring programme?
- What kind of topics would you like be discussed during the programme?
Please also attach to your application the pre-assignment “As an academic expert into worklife – reminiscing the future”. You can download the instructions for the assignment from the programme’s Materials page. Please write the assignment primarily in the language of the group you are applying for (for example, if you are applying for an English-language group as your first choice, please write the assignment in English). Save the document in a PDF format with your own name (firstname_surname.pdf).
Information on the selection will be sent to all applicants by 27th October 2023.
For more information on applying for the programme, please contact the Career Services: careerservices(at)helsinki.fi