- science communication
- social studies of science
- media studies
- environmental communication
- discourse theories and metaphor analysis
- theories of public sphere
Leader in Research Projects:
- Mediating expertise: public debates on health. Funded by the Academy of Finland, (2019-2022).
- Public Expertise and Freedom of Expression. Funded by Kone Foundation (2018-20)
- Public Science. Funded by Helsingin Sanomat Foundation (2014-2015)
- The Concept of Conjuncture in Media Studies and Social Science. Funded by the Academy of Finland 2009-2012)
- (Partner in EU-funded project Audio Visual Science Audiences (AVSA) 2008-2010)
- Journalistic Culture in Transition. Funded by the Academy of Finland, 2004-2008)
- The Power of the Gene. Mediated Science and its Publics. Funded by the Academy of Finland 2000-2004
- Science in Biodiversity Politics (with Yrjö Haila, University of Tampere, Department of Regional studies and environmental policy). Funded by the Academy of Finland 1997-1999.
- The forest dieback controversy in the Finnish media. Funded by the Academy of Finland, 1992-1995.