The 6th International Conference on Bantu Languages (BANTU 6) was held at the University of Helsinki in Finland on 20 – 22 June 2016 (Monday – Wednesday), followed by half-day workshops on the afternoon of Wednesday, 22 June, and the morning of Thursday, 23 June 2016. The conference program and abstracts can be downloaded here.
Many thanks to everyone who participated! Handouts and slides from many of the presentations, as well as pdfs of posters, are available for download here.
Conference location: Metsätalo, Unioninkatu 40, University of Helsinki, Finland. See Practical Information for more details about visiting Helsinki and recommended hotels.
Organizing team in Helsinki
- Lotta Aunio
- Thera Crane
- Axel Fleisch
- Miia Koivu
- Stephan Schulz
You are welcome to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions!
Partners and sponsors
Studia Orientalia Electronica
Finnish Oriental Society
Federation of Finnish Learned Societies
FinCEAL – Developing Finnish Science, Technology and Innovation Cooperation between Europe, Africa and the LAC Region
Programme Committee Bantu 6
- Hermann Batibo (University of Botswana, Gaborone, Botswana)
- Lee Bickmore (State University of New York, Albany NY, USA)
- Laura Downing University of Gothenburg, Sweden)
- Helen Eaton (SIL, Uganda-Tanzania Branch)
- Tom Güldemann (Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany)
- Maxwell Kadenge (Witwatersrand University, Johannesburg, South Africa)
- Roland Kiessling (University of Hamburg, Germany)
- Karsten Legère (University of Gothenburg, Sweden)
- Jacky Maniacky (Royal Museum of Central Africa, Tervuren, Belgium)
- Michael Marlo (University of Missouri, Columbia MO, USA)
- Lydia Mojapelo (University of South Africa, Tshwane/Pretoria, South Africa)
- Steve Nicolle (Trinity Western University, Langley BC, Canada)
- Mary Paster (Pomona College, Claremont CA., USA)
- Gérard Philippson (DDL, Lyon, France)
- Josephat M. Rugemalira (Kibangu School, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania)
- Galen Sibanda (Michigan State University, East Lansing MI, USA)
- Rose Mantoa Smouse (University of Cape Town, South Africa)
- Gabriele Sommer (University of Bayreuth, Germany)
- Rhiannon Stephens (University of Columbia, New York NY, USA)
- Eva-Marie Ström (Rhodes University, Grahamstown, South Africa)
- Margarida Maria Taddoni Petter (University of São Paulo, Brazil)
- Elsabé Taljard (University of Pretoria, South Africa)
- Valentin Vydrin (LLACAN Paris, France)
- Alexander Zheltov (St. Petersburg State University, Russia)
Proposal for workshops: 30 April 2015.
Call for papers now open – please access here
Note the extended deadline: 30 September 2015!
Notification of acceptance: 8 Dec 2015.
Registration now open!
Updated 7 September 2016