Geography and environmental education
The Research Group for Geography and Environmental Education has two main tasks: the research concerning geography education and environmental education.
Research on geography education builds bridges between the academic discipline of geography and the school subject of geography. It applies new perspectives on geography education and brings the everyday environments of children and young people into the sphere of geographical research.
Our research themes related to geography education include:
- The relationships between geography as an academic discipline and geography taught at schools
- The everyday environments of children and young people
- Geography education at schools and pedagogical materials
- Values, compassion, and diversity in education
- Outdoor education
- Geomedia and visual datasets
Environmental education plays a key role in aiming for sustainable lifestyle. Environmental education takes into account the various dimensions of the environment, such as the ecological, social, cultural, economic, aesthetic, and ethical environments.
Our research themes related to environmental education include:
- Participatory environmental education and active citizenship
- Ecosocial understanding
- Young people’s future perspectives and sustainability utopias
- Environmental education in urban environments
- Sustainability and climate change education in early childhood education, basic education, and upper secondary education