Welcome to the 30th Helsinki Summer Seminar on International Law!
21-25 August 2017, Helsinki, Finland
The Ideal of the International – Principles, Backlash and Resistance
The rise of nationalism and populism in liberal democracies, the cold responses to humanitarian crises, as well as Brexit and Trump have hit hard against ideals and principles that international lawyers have long – maybe too long – taken for granted. Solidarity, humanitarianism, cooperation , trusteeship and responsible leadership are under attack. What will be the consequences? What is at stake, and for whom? Should international accommodate, or become a force of resistance?
The 30th Helsinki Summer Seminar on international law aims to provide students, researchers and practitioners of international law with a platform to reflect on these matters, debate the issues, and formulate possible alternatives.
· Dr. Surabhi Ranganathan – University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
· Prof. Anne Peters – Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law, Germany
· Prof. Martti Koskenniemi – University of Helsinki, Finland
· Prof. Jan Klabbers – University of Helsinki, Finland
· Prof. Andrew Hurrell – University of Oxford, United Kingdom