The object of the project is to study the relation between the cultural and the political public sphere during the turmoil of Finnish society in the late nineteenth and early twenty-first century. The main focus is in the Finnish liberal intelligentsia of the era. The empirical part of the study focuses on their periodicals and magazines which can be seen as a marriage between literature and journalism. The periodicals and magazines have been essential for an individual or group to develop their ideas and worldviews not only on arts, literature and aesthetics but also on topics such as religion, internationalism, modernisation, education, science, socialism and revolution.
The project started in March 2014 and ended in August 2020. It was funded by The Finnish Cultural Foundation.
The publications of the project include:
- Kortti, Jukka, ‘Towards the European Transnational Public Sphere: Finnish Liberal Intellectuals and their Periodicals between Nationalism and Internationalism under Russification’ Scandinavian Journal of History. Published online: 20 Oct 2020.
- Kortti, Jukka ’Dreyfusin hengessä Venäjää vastaan’ Kanava 6/2020; 55–57.
- Kortti, Jukka, ‘The Modern Cultural Intelligentsia as a Generational Movement. Viewpoints on the Uses of a Societal Generation in History based on Finnish Intellectual History’ Chronica Mundi 13 (1) 2018: 172-190.
- Kortti, Jukka, ‘Religion and the cultural public sphere: the case of the Finnish liberal intelligentsia during the turmoil of the early twentieth century‘ History of European Ideas 44 (1), 2018, 98-112.
- Kortti, Jukka, ’The Young Finns and the Finnish Parliamentary Reform of 1906’ Peterburgskii istoricheskii zhurnal 1 (13) 2017, 91-105.
- Kortti, Jukka, ’Kulttuurista politiikkaan: Aho, Leino ja kulttuurilehdet estetiikan ja politiikan rajoilla’ Ennen ja nyt 5/2016.
- Kortti, Jukka, ‘Media, the Elite and Modernity. Defining the Modern among Finnish Cultural Intelligentsia in the 20th Century’ Internationanl Journal for History, Culture and Modernity Volume 2, Number 1, July 2014, pp. 1-24(24).
- Kortti, Jukka, ‘Intellectuals and the State: The Finnish University Intelligentsia and The German Idealist Tradition’ Modern Intellectual History, 11, 2014, pp 359-384.