Location: University of Maastricht Campus in Brussels.
The purpose of the event will be to discuss the European legislative and judicial responses to the evolving role of online platforms (Facebook, Twitter, other social media, blogging platforms, as well as online hosting portals and search engines). While traditionally intermediaries were perceived as merely channeling content, is the increased use of algorithms effectively altering their function now, bringing them closer to actual controllers of content? Soft law measures (Code of Conduct) next to technical fixes (online tools) and stricter regulatory mechanisms akin to notice-and-take-down measures have begun to shape a complex regulatory landscape in which policy-makers, judges and private entities share powers. This one-day conference brings together academics, civil society and other stakeholders to discuss the future of speech in a digital age.
The conference is co-sponsored by Research Consortium Laws of Surveillance and Security, University of Helsinki.
8:30-9:00 Registration and Opening Remarks by Dr. Bilyana Petkova (Maastricht University and Yale Information Society Project) and Professor Tuomas Ojanen (Director of Research Consortium Laws of Surveillance and Security, University of Helsinki)
9:00-9:30 Keynote Address: Freedom of Speech in a Digital Age by Dr. Gavin Philipson, Professor of Law, Durham Law School
9:30- 10:45 Conceptual Issues:
- Moderator: Dr. Bilyana Petkova, Maastricht University
- Panellist Dr. Mariarosaria Taddeo, Deputy Director, Digital Ethics Lab, Oxford Internet Institute
- Panellist Dr. Oreste Pollicino, Professor of Law, Bocconi University, Milan
- Panellist Dr. Joris Van Hoboken, Professor of Law, Free University of Brussels
10:45-11:00 Coffee Break
11:00-13:00 Case Studies: Italy, Germany and Austria:
- Moderator: Dr. Jens Kremer, Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Helsinki
- Panellist Dr. Marco Bassini, Postdoctoral Fellow, Bocconi University
- Panellist Dr. Thomas Wischmeyer, Assistant Professor, University of Bielefeld
- Panellist Eliska Pirkova, PhD candidate, University of Helsinki
14:00-15:30 Toward a European Approach? E-Commerce Directive, EU Code of Conduct & CJEU Case Law on Intermediaries
- Moderator: Tuomas Ojanen, University of Helsinki
- Panellist Dr. Sophie Stalla-Bourdillon, Associate Professor, Southampton Law School
- Panellist Teresa Quintel, PhD candidate, University of Luxembourg
- Panellist Dr. Alberto Miglio, Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Turin
15:30-15:45 Coffee Break
15:45-17:00 The Way Ahead: Discussion Panel
- Moderator: Cosimo Monda, Director, Maastricht European Centre on Privacy and Cybersecurity
- Panellists Joe McNamee, Executive Director, European Digital Rights – The Copyright Directive
- Panellist Karmen Turk, Attorney-at-Law, Partner at Triniti – Estonia – Council of Europe Recommendations
- Panellist Jens Kremer, Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Helsinki – Impact Assessments
17:00-17:15 Closing Remarks
Link for more info.