- Personal details
Name: Mira Kalalahti
- Title of Docent in Sociology of Education, University of Helsinki, Faculty of Social Sciences, Finland.
- D.Soc.Sc. (Doctor of Social Sciences), social sciences, University of Helsinki, Finland.
- MA (Education), sociology and politics of education, University of Helsinki, Finland.
M.Soc.Sc., social policy, University of Helsinki, Finland.
Other education: Teacher Education (adult education). University of Helsinki.
Language skills: Native language Finnish; other languages: English, Swedish
- March 2022- Associate Professor (guidance), Department of Teacher Education, University of Jyväskylä..
Previous work experience
- January 2020 – February 2022, Collegium Researcher, Turku Institute for Advanced Studies (TIAS), University of Turku.
- August 2018 – December 2019. Postdoctoral researcher, Research project Empowering social capital within educational trajectories. Faculty of Educational Sciences, University of Helsinki
- September 2014 – August 2018. Postdoctoral researcher, Research project Transition and educational trajectories of immigrant youth. Faculty of Educational Sciences, University of Helsinki.
- September 2013 – August 2014. Researcher, Research project School markets and segregation – The social cost of school choice. Faculty of Educational Science, University of Helsinki.
- January 2012 – December 2013. Researcher, Research project Parents and school choice: Family Strategies, Segregation and School Policies in Chilean and Finnish Basic Schooling, Institute of Behavioural Sciences, University of Helsinki.
- January – December 2011. Doctoral Student, The Finnish Graduate School in Education and Learning (FiGSEL), University of Helsinki.
- Study periods 2004–2010. Adjunct instructor, Open University and Department of Social Policy, University of Helsinki.
- I have contributed to 32 original scientific journal articles (A1) and 28 book chapters (A3). I have also co-authored (C1) or co-edited (C2) six scientific books (see publications).
Research supervision and leadership experience
- Supervision of doctoral thesis (completed)(secondary supervisor) Tommi Wallenius (2020), Satu Koivuhovi (2021), supervision of doctoral students (secondary supervisor): 3
- Supervision (completed, secondary supervisor) of 7 master’s thesis, 16 bachelor’s thesis and 3 University trainees.
- 2020–2021 Course Education politics. Department of Educational Sciences, University of Turku.
- 2015–2020 Six Bachelor´s or Pro –seminars, Courses Education and Society: Sociological and Political Perspectives and Quantitative Research Methods, University of Helsinki.
- 2004–2010 Eight courses on social and public policy, University of Helsinki.
- 2005–2011 Seven courses on Social research methods, University of Helsinki.
Honours: The scientific article of the year 2012, The Finnish Journal of Education [Kasvatus].
Other key academic merits
- Pre-examiner of doctoral dissertation. University of Tampere.
- 2005– Reviewer for over 20 scientific and scholarly journals and periodicals. Including Acta Sociologica, European Societies, Journal of Youth Studies, Urban Studies, Young.
- 2020- Editor in Chief.
- Nuorisotutkimus [Journal of Youth Research].
- 2019–2020 Member of editorial board. Nuorisotutkimus [Journal of Youth Research].
- Member of the coordinative team of the SIG-group Sociology of Education 2012–
Scientific and societal impact
- Invited Speaker in 9 development days or workshops, including research meeting on equality and equity in society (Ministry of Education and Culture, February 14th, 2020), Workshop on sustainable development and evaluation (The National Audit Office of Finland, November 14th, 2019) and Seminar on developing study counselling and guidance (Finnish National Agency for Education, May 5th, 2018).
- Assignments by Ministry of Education and Culture :
- Member of the scientific panel (accessibility to higher education), 1.8.2020–31.7.2021.
- National forum for the early childhood education and basic education, 1.6.2020–31.12.2022.
- Scientific board of the Research Foundation for Studies and Education Otus sr, 2020–2022.