The HelsinkiUNI International Talent Programme (new abbreviation UNITalent) is where international talents from the University of Helsinki meet local companies and organizations!
UNITalent aims at helping international talents learn about working in Finland directly from local companies and organizations. A local company/organization hosts a group of international talents from UH, focusing on sharing expertise and insights on their field of interest and the practicalities of networking and finding a job in Finland.
The topics of the group discussion can include for example:
- What are the latest trends and developments in this field?
- How do you enter this field?
- Which skills and competencies are required?
- What kinds of career paths exist in the area of expertise?
The group gets together 4-5 times over 3 months (Feb-April 2024)
As a UNITalentee, you will get to
- learn valuable information about expert work in your field of expertise first-hand from a local organisation
- hear about different kinds of career paths in a specific sector in Finland
- build your professional network in Finland
- share your perspectives and support the host in gaining an international perspective.
- learn career management skills
Over 250 international participants over three years!
The program was launched in 2020. The season 2022-23 is the third round with almost 80 students from 18 degree programmes taking part.
Building career competences through a support network
Both UNITalent- host organizations and UNITalentees are supported throughout their journey together. The goal is to build up professional competences and also networks with long-term impact.
Note that after the programme ends, the companies/organizations and the students are free to continue working together if they wish to do so. Otherwise, there are no commitments on either side after the programme ends.
UNITalent as part of Talent Boost
The HelsinkiUNI International Talent Programme falls under Finland’s larger Talent Boost framework. Talent Boost is a national programme, which aims to boost the immigration of senior specialists, employees, students and researchers to Finland in order to make Finland more competitive internationally.
UNITalent contributes to this larger framework by providing a means through which international students can prepare to enter the Finnish workforce or attract those who may not have originally considered staying in Finland after their studies. UNITalent also intends to show Finnish companies the benefits and possibilities that emerge from working with international talents.