January is almost here, which means we are getting impatient to meet all our new international students here at the University of Helsinki!
Your student experience at the University of Helsinki will begin with a visit to the Welcome Fair on January 10, 2018, as well as your Faculty orientation. Please note that you will need to take part in both! Remember to bring your official ID (passport, ID card or residence permit) with you to the Welcome Fair!
The Welcome Fair is the perfect place to get to know the University and the Campuses as well as to get all the official matters out of the way. The venue for the Welcome Fair is the Language Centre of the University of Helsinki (address: Fabianinkatu 26). Please see our Welcome Fair and orientation week map for locations.
At the Welcome Fair you can among other things:
- pick up your certificate of student status and local transport discount certificate,
- register at the Local Register Office and apply for a personal identity code
- get your username for the University computer network,
- get information on e.g. language courses and on how to register for them,
- get information on various other services available for you, e.g. Unisport, Study Psychologists, University Library, the Finnish Student Health Service
- talk to people from the Student Union and student organisations such as the Erasmus Student Network (ESN),
- and of course meet a lot of new friends!
In order for your studies in Helsinki to begin as smoothly as possible, we encourage you to take some time and go through the materials For New Students in the Instructions for Students. You will find all necessary information on the practicalities there.
The Faculties at the University of Helsinki also arrange Faculty specific orientations. During these you get to know your Faculty and department and get a good start in your studies.
All dates, hours and locations for the different orientations, sessions and the Welcome Fair, are available in the Instructions for Students.
We have also created a Facebook event for the Welcome Fair, so if you are on Facebook, please join the event and you will see who else is coming.
See you all in January!