remember, we have our next soil guidance group meeting this Friday 15.12. at 12:30, room 529 (Metsätieteiden talo).
- short round
- discussing INAR poster (see below) – this might take 30 min
- presentation by Mari Mäki and Christine Ribeiro
- Group photo! Kira or others: can you bring a camera?
INSTEAD: we go to listen to a PhD defence in Kumpula:
Pavel Alekseychik “Multiscale studies of the peatland-atmosphere interactions in northern Eurasia” on Friday, 1 December 2017, in auditorium Brainstorm (Dynamicum, Erik Palménin aukio 1) at 12:00.
The Opponent is Prof. Torben Christensen (Department of Physical Geography and Ecosystem Science, Lund University).
The Kustos is Prof. Timo Vesala (Department of Physics, University of Helsinki).
remember our next soil guidance group meeting this Friday 1.12.2017 at 12:30 room 529 (Metsätieteiden talo).
- short round
- presentations by Mari Mäki and Christine Ribeiro
- information of meetings and other topics
Present: Kajar Köster (chair), Kira Ryhti, Liisa Kulmala, Petteri Pyykkö, Homa Ghasemi, Maiju Kosunen, Outi-Maaria Sietiö, Jussi Heinonsalo, Mari Pihlatie, Christine Ribeiro.
Webpage for Soil Guidance Group available (with next meeting information and minutes from previous meetings)
Round presentation, and catch up on what everyone has been doing for the past two weeks: Kajar (Fire experiment possible in Canada in summer of 2018, LDD journal and its similarity index calculation program called iThenticate), Kira (fine roots in whole-tree carbon balance), Liisa (everything is under control!), Petteri (MSc student, introduced his works dealing with CH4 from Lettosuo), Homa (MSc Student, introduced her work dealing with methane emission from tree stem), Outi-Maaria (working with manuscripts), Jussi (explained his working tasks in different places), Mari (still on holiday mood!), Christine (struggling with HWSD software and processing data for her first manuscript).
Kira Ryhti’s presentation (Trenching experiment results from Hyytiälä) regarding her current activities and some results that will be in her next manuscript
Kajar shows the report on his paper that returned from Land Degradation and Development becasue to high similarity index. Ithenticate software.
Next meetings 1st December and 15th of December room 529, 12:30.
Presentations by Mari Mäki and Christine Ribeiro (Problem, how to work through the HWSD software)
There will be a soil guidance group meeting on 17.11. (Friday as usually) at 12.15 in room 529.
- Round: feelings and tell shortly what you are working with right now
- Presentation: we will have short presentation by Kira Ryhti
- Other: raised up topics and issues
Soil Guidance Group has now its own small and simple webpage where you can find latest announcements and also all concluding “MINUTES” of the meetings:
The meeting calendar is also updated at:
We have also established group email list: firstname.lastname@example.org
Those interested PLEASE SUBSCRIBE as this will be the last time when the old email address list is used!!!
– Send an email to: email@example.com
– leave the title/subject empty
– write in the message space:
subscribe soil-guidance firstname.lastname@example.org
Present: Mari Pihlatie (chair), Antti-Jussi Kieloaho, Terhi Rasilo, Janne Korhonen, Xuan Zhou, Heidi Aaltonen, Bartek Adamczyk, Maiju Kosunen, Nandita Rajan, Donggyu Kam, Mari Mäki, Kajar Köster, Kristine Ribeiro, Liisa Kulmala, Kira Ryhti, Minna Santalahti, Laura Matkala, Teemu Paljakka, Tommy Chan
- General introduction of what people are working with to introduce topics and people to everyone.
- Mari P. (Academy fellow, ERC grant, forests and CH4 balance), Xuan (microbial biomass, arctic soils), Heidi (Carbon cycling, arctic fire -project), Maiju (bark beetles), Nandita (MSc student, starting N2O & N2 modelling), Donggyu (role of fire distribution…), Mari M. (VOC exchange of soils), Kajar Köster (disturbances and biogeochemical processes –group leader; planning and applying funding for campaign in Canada 2018), Kristine Ribeiro (new PHD student, BOREALFIRE project), Liisa (C cycling in forest ecosystems, SMEAR II station), Kira (1st year PhD student; fine roots in whole-tree carbon balance), Minna (PhD student, microbiologist, writing thesis & finalizing last paper; fungal diversity in boreal forest), Laura (PhD student, Värriö sub-arctic station; nutrient cycling, P & ground vegetation, CO2 effluxes), Teemu (4th year PhD student, water and sugar transport in whole-tree system), Tommy (post-doc, stem CO2 exchange setup, aerosols)
Kira Ryhti: AGFOREE 5-min test presentation
Discussions on group future
- meeting every 2nd week, Kajar Köster helping to organize / chair the meetings
- scientific presentations every week: take responsibility to present your results / ideas
- presenting and sharing problems & how to solve them, e.g. how to draw figures, use of statistics, programming tricks => Mari will open a google dogs to collect ideas for problems
- remember that showing a graph is great, your presentation does not need to be polished (rather not J)
Runopiiri, writing club
- positive ideas, going to a nice place and focusing on writing
- no discussions in the big room, separate rooms for closed discussions among the people
- team: Mari P, Kira, Pannu (Janne Korhonen)
Group email list: email@example.com
Next meeting 17.11.2017
Kira Ryhti, possibly Markku Koskinen (new Post-doc in Mari’s group)
it is a high time to activate soil guidance group meetings for this academic year. Apologies for not arranging this before, I will explain why J. I propose to start the meetings and spend time in the meeting to discuss how to continue, how to make the meetings most beneficial for everyone. Lets meet on Friday 27 October at 12:30 in Metsätieteiden talo, room 332.
- Round; feelings and tell shortly what you are working with right now
- Discussing group meeting needs and expectations
- Runopiiri (writing circle); do we want to activate it?
participation list: if you know anyone missing from the email list, or someone who should not be there anymore (or if you don’t want to receive the emails), please let me know.
For everyone: please pursue joining the meeting, and ask your students take part in at least one guidance group activity. This is a place for peer support, getting and sharing information, ideas and solving your scientific problems.