MISSION OF THE LANGUAGE CENTRE
The Language Centre is a unit specialising in language teaching and research. Its mission is to provide the language and communication studies included in the degrees of all University of Helsinki faculties, to support the internationalisation of students and staff, and to offer diverse language and communication services.
OBJECTIVES AND DEVELOPMENT PLANS
The year 2019 was the third year of the Strategic Plan of the University of Helsinki 2017–2020 and the Language Centre’s implementation plan.
The key objectives of the Language Centre’s implementation plan include a focus on student-centred approaches, the promotion of digital skills among the staff, the diversification of learning environments, the development of curriculum design in line with the University’s new degree programmes, and the reinforcement of international activities and broad cooperation with various partners.
Progress in the following areas was noted in 2019:
- Experiences of cross-disciplinary cooperation
- Language Centre publication series – issued since 2008
- Redesign of the substitute examination in Finnish as the second national language
- Pilot project for cooperation between the Language Centre and general upper secondary school
- Educational trends and cooperation in the spotlight at the Language Centre Days
- An international student at the Language Centre