We are seeking a PROJECT COORDINATOR for Marie-Curie Innovative Training Network SWATNet (Space Weather Awareness Training Network) at the Department of Physics, University of Helsinki. The position is for 3.5 years and would start on 1st of May or June, 2021
The SWATNet project establishes a unique PhD network in the field of heliophysics. The project aims at breakthroughs in our physical understanding – and ultimately forecasting – of key Space Weather agents at Earth. The Consortium consists of nine Parties from eight European countries (Finland, Greece, Hungary, Belgium, UK, Italy, Poland and Portugal), as well as several recognized companies in the field. The project aims to educate 12 PhD students in the field of heliophysics with training by experienced supervisors in highly competitive, international research environments.
Description of duties
The duties of a project coordinator include a set of administrative and communication tasks, such as:
- Being the primary contact point for PhD students and supervisors on day-to-day issues, including training logistics
- Coordinating the organization of network-wide activities (summer schools, workshops, science meetings)
- Helping produce and coordinate the collection of material to the Project webpage (blog posts, summaries of publications etc.)
- Keeping Project’s social media active (FB, Twitter, other )
- Setting up meetings ( planning and sending reminders) ) and maintaining outcomes (meeting records, minutes, presentations) for the General Assembly and Supervisory Board
- Maintaining an up-to-date Project webpage
- Providing assistance in writing project reports
- Helping Parties, Partner Organisations, and PhD students in legal and financial issues relating to the Project (supported by UH administration and local beneficiary / partner administrations)
- Keeping a record on good practices related to PhD training at different organisations and locations
- Keeping track of the project budget
- Providing assistance in writing, by means of suitable materials detailing the Project’s activities for different target groups (e.g., school teachers, science policy)
- A degree from an institute of higher education (university or university of applied sciences)
- Degree in the field of space physics/space weather is considered as an additional asset
- Previous experience in project management / administration / science outreach is considered as an additional strength
- Interest in PhD training and European research / education policies
- Ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds and good interpersonal skills
- Fluent written and spoken English
Benefits We offer a range of challenging, but also exciting, tasks in support of top research. Being the Project Coordinator for SWATNET offers an excellent opportunity to gain or maintain in-depth expertise in European research practices and policies, space weather research and industry. It also offers an opportunity to work towards improving and unifying PhD-level education and training in Europe. The University of Helsinki provides comprehensive benefits to its employees, including occupational healthcare and health insurance, sports facilities, and opportunities for professional development.
The University of Helsinki is one of the world’s leading universities for multidisciplinary research. University Services helps our international scientific community to focus on the core functions of the University: research, teaching and public engagement.
Salary The salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience based on the University salary system and will, at the beginning of the employment, be approximately 3000 €/month.
How to apply Send your application: cover letter (maximum 1 page) and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for applications is 28th February 2021.
Further information For further information on the application process, please contact SWATNET Coordinator Emilia Kilpua (email@example.com).