Over the last couple of years, the Climate University has created high-quality online learning materials through multidisciplinary collaboration and established a large network of developers, teachers and users of Climate University courses. To ensure the continuity of our activities and identify new goals for the Climate University, we created a strategy working group at the CU Annual Meeting in Tampere in December 2022. The Climate University strategy 2023-2027 has been workshopped with the Climate University coordinators from each member institutions and accepted in coordinator meeting 24.5.2023. We decided to establish six Action Groups open for anyone and led by the CU coordinators.
We invite you to join us at the Learning Café at the Sustainability Science Days in Helsinki on 24.5.2023 to learn more about the vision and strategy and contribute to shaping the future of the Climate University!
Mission – why
We educate competencies the society needs to tackle the challenges of climate change and the sustainability crisis.
- Re-think and respect for planet and people
- Science-based trustworthiness
- Openness and sharing
- Interdisciplinary and cross-boundary collaboration
Vision – what
Climate University is a brave forerunner in educating active sustainability makers for the society and business.
From vision to strategic aims
- Being a brave forerunner
- Climate University is visible and recognized as an expert network and actor in climate and sustainability education in Finland.
- Climate University courses are recognized as top-level material in climate change and sustainability education.
- Climate University is a wanted partner in collaboraiton.
- All HEIs in Finland join our network.
- New international partners collaborate with us.
- Educating active sustainability makers
- Network recognizes competence needs in the society.
- Network co-designs education and provides quality materials for online teaching and learning.
- Climate University has easy-access clear practices and a welcoming community.
- Climate University provides students opportunities for action and networking.
- For the society and business
- Our network promotes climate and sustainability actions in collaboration with society and business.
Action group 1: Coordination
Aim: Keeping CU up and running
Actions: Coordinator meetings, agreements, annual meetings, internal communications, network development, funding
Action group 2: Courses
Aim: CU courses are top-level material in climate change and sustainability education
Actions: Update courses (content and teaching methods + structure), new course initiatives, develop the platforms (student enrolment, digicampus…), pedagogical development
Action group 3: Communication
Aim: Inspiring people to participate
Actions: Develop website, blog, course advertisement, visual material; create a welcoming and lively atmosphere
Action group 4: Societal collaboration
Aim: CU is a wanted partner in collaboration
Actions: Societal collaboration with public, private and citizen sector organisations, as well as lower levels of education [schools]; life-long learning initiatives (including climate expert specialization education); preparing for funding opportunities
Action group 5: Academic collaboration
Aim: Sparking academic discussions around climate change and sustainability topics
Actions: Develop teacher network, find new ways for student engagement; mapping competencies and needs (for new CU courses); research done at CU and about CU
Action group 6: International collaboration
Aim: CU becomes international
Actions: Develop a strategy to expand beyond Finnish HEIs
Join the action groups
Here you can indicate your interest in joining one, or several, of the action groups: bit.ly/CUaction