It’s been a while since the Night of the Lights but we are still so happy about it. We have never seen Alina-sali look so beautiful as it did that evening. The atmosphere was magical thanks to the lighting and the oh-so-lovely jazzband MEJ-trio. Some people wanted to know the recipes of the food we made so we thought why not share some of them with you! Here’s what we had on the menu: green salad, vegetable soup with croûtons, smoked tofu pie with broccoli, oatmeal cookies and carrot cake. All food was vegan and very easy to make. In this post we’re sharing the recipes of the pie, cookies and cake.
Smoked tofu pie with broccoli
(adapted from https://chocochili.net/2009/01/parsakaali-savutofupiirakka/)
This delicious vegan pie is both healthy and a delight to the eyes.
For the crust
- 3 dl (1 ¼ cups) all purpose flour / vehnäjauhoja
- ½ teaspoon baking powder / leivinjauhetta
- 75 g vegan margarine / margariinia
- 1 dl (½ cup) unseasoned and unsweetened soygurt / soijajogurttia
- 2 tablespoons water / vettä
- Mix flour and baking powder together. Add pats of margarine, soygurt and water. Mix ingredients into a soft dough.
- Lightly flour the working surface. Turn dough out onto the baking tray (on a floured piece of parchment paper) and press to shape into a 1 cm thick disk. Pre-bake the crust for 5 minutes in 225°C, before adding the filling.
For the filling
- 100 g broccoli florets / parsakaalin nuppuja
- ½ a package (150g) of smoked tofu / savutofua
- 1 onion / sipuli
- 2 dl (1 cup) unseasoned and unsweetened soygurt / soijajogurttia
- ½ teaspoon table salt / suolaa
- ¼ teaspoon pepper / pippuria
- ½ teaspoon basil / basilikaa
- olive oil / oliiviöljyä
- 100 g broccoli florets / parsakaalin nuppuja
- Steam or boil the broccoli florets in salted water for a couple of minutes, until crisp-tender.
- Chop the onion and crumble or cut tofu. Heat some olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, tofu and broccoli; sauté until onion is translucent. Set aside and add soygurt with spices.
- Pour into pre-baked crust. Bake in the oven in 200°C, on the bottom rack of the oven for 25 minutes. Let sit for about 5 minutes before serving.
(adapted from http://www.kamomillankonditoria.com/2014/03/kauralastut.html)
This recipe makes about 30 crispy chewy oatmeal cookies!
- 3 dl (1 1/4 cups) sugar / sokeria
- 1/2 dl (1/5 cup) water / vettä
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt / suolaa
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar /vaniljasokeria
- 150 g vegan margarine / margariinia
- 1 teaspoon baking powder / leivinjauhetta
- 2 dl (1 cup) all purpose flour / vehnäjauhoja
- 2 dl (1 cup) rolled oats / kaurahiutaleita
- Preheat the oven to 175°C. Take out three baking trays and parchment papers.
- Add sugar, water, salt, vanilla sugar and baking powder in a mixing bowl and mix together.
- Add margarine and stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Then add flours and rolled oats. Stir until smooth, slightly crumbly.
- Pick up tablespoon-sized dough balls and place them onto a parchment lined baking tray. Leave enough space for each of them to spread, approximately 10 cookies per tray.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes in preheated oven. The edges should be firm and lightly browned. These cookies will spread a lot, since sugar and fat are exposed to high temperature and they will boil and caramelize. If they have spreaded too much, it’s best to cut them apart while still warm.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool well for a few minutes before moving them around.
(adapted from https://chocochili.net/2010/09/sadepaivan-porkkanakakku/)
For the cake
- 4 1/2 dl (2 cups) grated carrot / raastettua porkkanaa
- 3 ½ dl (1 ½ cups) brown sugar / fariinisokeria
- 2 dl (¾ cup) oil / öljyä
- 1 ½ dl (⅔ cup) soymilk or water / soijamaitoa tai vettä
- 5 ½ dl (2 ⅔ cup) all purpose flour / vehnäjauhoja
- ½ dl (⅕ cup) starch / perunajauhoja
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder / leivinjauhetta
- ½ teaspoon baking soda / soodaa
- ½ teaspoon salt / suolaa
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon / kanelia
- 1 teaspoon cloves / neilikkaa
For the frosting
- 100 g vegan margarine / margariinia
- 225 g unseasoned soy cream cheese / soijatuorejuustoa
- 2 dl (¾ cup) confectioners’ sugar / tomusokeria
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar / vaniljasokeria
- (crushed almonds / mantelirouhetta)
- Preheat the oven to 175°C.
- Grease a baking pan and add sprinkle over some flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together brown sugar, oil and soy milk.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients. Mix the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients. Fold in the grated carrots and stir until just combined.
- Pour into floured baking pan. Bake for appr. 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cake cool completely before frosting.
- Combine all frosting ingredients and spread it on top of the cake. Finally, decorate the cake with crushed almonds.
Marika and Suvi