The integration of our machine translation models in huggingface created big attention world-wide. Now FCAI is also sharing a news item about our developments and the contributions to open science and accessible NLP for many languages. Here is the news item: https://fcai.fi/news/2020/6/15/huge-contribution-to-democratizing-natural-language-processing-1
There is a news article at CSC that features our research in FoTran and on multilingual machine translation: https://www.csc.fi/en/-/seeking-to-understand-language-by-learning-from-translations. Check it out …
In memory of our friend and colleague Timo Honkela who passed away last week we would like to upload these two links once again about his concept of the peace machine:
May he rest in peace and his spirit inspire us also in the future.
Our NMT models from OPUS-MT are in the news as they are now ported and integra
Alessandro presents FoTran during the Poster session of the AI Day 2019 organised by FCAI. And a presentation about the FCAI special interest group for language speech and cognition was also part of the programme. Here is a another summary of the event.
There were two presentations from our group at HELDIG Summit, one about FoTran and one about the new Special Interest Group on Language, Speech and Cognition under the umbrella of FCAI.
The University of Helsinki Language Technology group has a number of papers at The 22nd Nordic Conference on Computational Linguistics (NoDaLiDa’19). Here’s where you can find us. See you in Turku!
Monday September 30:
- 13:15. Mathias Creutz, Eetu Sjöblom: “Toward automatic improvement of language produced by non-native language learners”
Constraint Grammar – Methods, Tools, and Applications workshop:
- 14:15. Anssi Yli-Jyrä: “Constraint Grammar Is a Hand-Crafted Transformer”
Tuesday 01 October:
Parallel session B: Morphology and Syntax.
- 13:45. Ilmari Kylliäinen and Miikka Silfverberg: “Ensembles of Neural Morphological Inflection Models”
- 16:45. Jeff Ens, Mika Hämäläinen, Jack Rueter and Philippe Pasquier: “Morphosyntactic Disambiguation in an Endangered Language Setting”
- 16:45. Mikko Aulamo and Jörg Tiedemann: “The OPUS Resource Repository: An Open Package for Creating Parallel Corpora and Machine Translation Services”
Wednesday 02 October
Parallel session B: Speech.
- 14:50. Aarne Talman, Antti Suni, Hande Celikkanat, Sofoklis Kakouros, Jörg Tiedemann and Martti Vainio: “Predicting Prosodic Prominence from Text with Pre-trained Contextualized Word Representations”
The Finnish Center of Artificial Intelligence (FCAI) established a special interest group (SIG) in language, speech and cognition. Language technology and our group is one of the driving forces behind this SIG. The SIG will be introduced at the AI Day on November 26 in Ottaniemi.