MID-TERM WORKSHOP ORGANIZED BY RN24 (SOCIOLOGY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY NETWORK) OF THE EUROPEAN SOCIOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION
MAY 23-24, 2022; HELSINKI, FINLAND
During the past few years, more and more areas of life have been permeated by the idea that digitalization, data and artificial intelligence will provide efficacy, services and new possibilities for both societies and their citizens. This can be seen for example in banking, transportation and health care. At the same time, around the globe, dozens of policies and strategies regarding the development of artificial intelligence have been published. Science and Technology Studies (STS) scholars have paid attention to the processes and developments related to AI and related technologies and practices becoming increasingly ubiquitous in society. For STS this provides a unique opportunity to study and understand social and technological change as well as changes in the ways knowledge is produced.
This workshop invites presentations which examine AI and/or digitalized society, and their consequences in everyday life. Possible presentation topics may include, but is not limited to:
- AI/digitalization and governance
- Algorithmic culture
- AI/Digitalization and privacy/surveillance
- AI/Digitalization in different professions such as healthcare, law, and transportation
- The design of AI systems and building of algorithms and machine learning models
- AI at home
- Restructuring of activities for the application of AI, for example in a workplace
- The role of AI/digitalization in organizational change
- Implications of AI/digitalization in knowledge production
- Methodological approaches to study AI, data and digitalization
We invite contributions from researchers at all stages of the academic career, but we particularly encourage early career researchers to submit abstracts. Abstracts should be no longer than 300 words.
Florian Jaton – STS Lab, University of Lausanne
Nanna Bonde Thylstrup – Department of Management, Society and Communication, Copenhagen Business School
Abstract submission deadline is January 21, 2022. Abstracts should be submitted to email@example.com.